infant travel checklist
How to prep for an easy-going fun family trip while going on vacation with baby? After several trips abroad and around United States and several dozens of trips around California my husband & I prepared an infant travel checklist that we go through before walking out of the door. It’s not fun to have to stop by the store while you’d rather spend time vacationing, so in this post we present you with a useful infant travel checklist.
There are many unpredictable variables that you don’t have a control over while traveling with a newborn, however there are several mishaps you can avoid and be prepared for. Going on a road-trip with an infant can be challenging however being ready in advance can save you time and eliminate discomfort for your child!
13 Essential items for flying with infant
The following is a basic infant travel checklist of most useful stuff to pack on each trip:
First need toiletries for infant travel checklist
- Get a good compact diaper bag or backpack (which is easier to carry) for flying with a baby.
- Diapers – Depends on how far are you planning to travel from home you may need from 2 – 8 diapers. When our son was two months old we went on a road trip to Palm Spring from LA and took the entire cartoon of diapers just in case. We didn’t use up a quarter of the box, although we didn’t have to worry about finding a store or making additional unplanned stops
- Wet Wipes – just get enough (keep one pack as a reserve) in case baby poops; seriously, and remember “wet wipes save live”
- Diaper cream/Baby Powder – Get one for home and one for diaper bag specifically so you will never forget it.
- Disposal Bags –we prefer to have Munchkin Aroma disposal diaper bags. You never know when your baby may poop and if you are traveling far it can be unpleasant to drive with a smelly poop sack in your car.
Clothes garments for infant travel checklist
- 2 sets of clothes – it includes: two onesies, two short/pants, one sweater (if it’s cold weather), two pair of socks. Kids tend to pee a lot, when they are seating for a long time in a car (or baby carrier) and subsequently may leak.
- Two swaddle blankets – Why two? I use one to cover surface when changing diaper for our little one, you don’t want your baby laying down on dirty changing table in a public restroom (also in a car or other public spaces, you just want to make sure there is a clean area where your baby is changed). The second blanket is multipurpose – it can cover the stroller or car’s window if it’s a sunny day, also it can serve the original purpose on a chilly day.
- 2-3 burp cloths – feedings are never easy either if it’s breast milk, formula or solid food you may need to clean your baby, yourself or the surroundings.
Meal and hydration for infant travel checklist
- Food – when we planning a hike close to home or far from home we always take two more full meals for our son. The reason is that we may stop somewhere for a lunch and it’s just strange to make your kid watch you, when you are eating together. The meal is far relaxing if your baby has something to munch on (instead having to entertain the little one). Another reason: What If – there is traffic, change of plans, or an unexpected event. If you’re going on a long roadtrip or flying with a baby I’d recommend getting food pouches.
- 2-3 Bottles of Water (airport allows a bunch, so don’t worry too much) – do not forget water, it’s important that your baby is hydrated enough because it has huge effect on metabolism (especially in the warmer climates). Do not think that if you can survive hours without fluids that your baby can too. We offer water to our son almost every half an hour and always before food and after (the baby will let you know whether he/she’s thirsty or not). Also a Pedialyte is a great source of electrolytes (if your child had diarrhea) – consult your pediatrician beforehand administering any medicine including electrolyte enriched drinks (infant’s renal system is very fragile ).
Secondary importance items for infant travel checklist
- Toy, Toys, Toys – you need toys for any trip especially a vacation with baby, it’s not fun to seat in a car seat and watch the world go by backwards, so take some favorite toys, books, baby shushers, teethers etc. Here’s a DYI idea that seem to work well for us: place some sand, beads, beans, or w.e. into an empty water bottle – this can serve as a rattler or an unusual objects for baby to play with – they can be occupied for hours with something like this!
- 2 Pacifiers on a leash (so you wont loose it)
- Carrier – we have ErgoBaby 360 – seems like one of the best purchase we’ve ever made. There are 6 different position that you can carry your baby, your little one will be safe and sound while discovering world with you (it is so comfortable our cuddle-little-cuddle usually falls asleep in it)
All together these 13 items we find most useful every time we travel locally or on long trips. Please share what goes into your essential infant travel checklist in the comments bellow. Many thanks!
Bonus Tip for Infant travel checklist:
Stroller – depends on where you are travel to (you may need only carrier) you may not even use a stroller. Our travel stroller is Yoyo by BabyZen – it’s an amazing compact stroller that folds into little bag size stroller that can fit in any trunk even of a small car.
These are the essential 13 items what we ralized are an absolute must for family travel while planning a vacation with baby which will guarntee you a peace of mind.
Subscribe to our #CaliforniaPerspective as we continue sharing road trip tips, our discoveries and ideas for your next travel. That’s our California Perspective for today.